Monday, March 3, 2008

Calzones

Dough:
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 -2 tbsp yeast (i like mine yeasty and to rise a lot)
1-2 tbsp sugar or honey
Mix and let yeast rise for about 10 mins

Add about 4 cups flour and 1tsp salt in a bowl (I use 1/2 wheat and 1/2 unbleached reg)
Add 1/4 cup olive oil to yeast mixture
Then pour liquid into flour/salt bowl.
Stir into a dough ball. Cover with some oil, then cover with a towel, plastic wrap, whatever and let rise a little. I don't always let mine rise, sometimes I let it rise 20 mins while I get the rest of the stuff ready.

Oven to 400 degrees. You can divide dough into 4 smaller pieces or 2 pieces for large calzones (my preference) Roll it out, square, triangle, round, whatever, as long as you can fold it over later. (this is kevins, sans vegetables...sigh)


I add ricotta, mozzarella, (sometimes parm) veggies (chopped onions, peppers, mushrooms) and chopped pepperoni (or sausage) Fold in half and pinch to seal. Can brush with butter or egg if desired. I use whatever meat/veggies are in the fridge. I prefer to keep the sauce on the side for dipping, but I have put sauce inside before.

No comments: